ARTHROPOD FACT SHEET
RED VELVET ANT "COW KILLER"
The Arthropod I had chosen for my Project was very hard two get facts on I sat the computer for a few hours only to find very few facts of that I was told to do. There for these are some of the answers I was able to find.
kingdom
|
Animalia
|
phylum
|
Arthropoda
|
class
|
insecta
|
order
|
ants, bees, wasps, and sawflies
|
family
|
velvet ants
|
genus
|
dasymutilla
|
species
|
cow killer
|
Habitat
|
Meadows, old fields, edges of forest.
|
Physical Description
|
Invades the nest of bees, . Female searches for bumble bee nests, digs down and puts one egg near brood chamber. Larva of the Dasymutilla enters the bumble bee brood chamber, kills those larvae, and feeds on them. Larva pupates in the bumble bee brood chamber.
|
Behavior
|
Males feed on nectar and the women usually wander the grounds during day
|
No comments:
Post a Comment